WISDOM TOOTH EXTRACTIONS
An adult has 32 permanent teeth in his entire life, and 28 of which develop and grow out of the gums during our childhood. However, 4 of these teeth develop and erupt in the gums during the late teens or early twenties. These teeth are called the wisdom teeth.
Wisdom teeth erupt at the furthermost part of the jaw. It starts to come out between ages 18 and 21. Though, in some cases, it may not come out to the gums properly due to lack of space or other factors.
Why is there a need for Wisdom Teeth Removal?
Wisdom teeth require surgical removal due to several factors like:
- Lack of space: the wisdom tooth cannot acquire its proper position because other teeth are occupying its space or the jawbone is small.
- Impacted Wisdom Tooth: the gums covering the tooth obstruct the eruption of the wisdom tooth or its angulation is incorrect.
If impacted wisdom teeth aren’t removed, it may cause several complications in your oral health aside from severe pain. Food debris and bacteria can get trapped around the area of a wisdom tooth or beneath the gums. And because these are hard to clean areas, an infection may develop in that area which aggravates over some time. It can also cause damage to the adjacent tooth.
Wisdom Teeth Removal Procedure
If you’re looking for a wisdom teeth removal clinic, you are on the right page! Clear Dental dentists are devoted and well-trained to do this procedure.
Wisdom tooth extraction starts by administering local anaesthesia to numb your gums and teeth. The dentist will then start to use hand instruments to loosen up the tooth and remove it with dental forceps.
In cases wherein the tooth is embedded in the bone, the dentist will use hand drills or Piezoelectric surgery to remove parts of the bone to gain access in the removal of the wisdom tooth. This wisdom tooth extraction procedure requires making an incision in the gums and flipping it back to expose the bone.
After the wisdom tooth has been removed, the dentist will flip back the gums to its original place and suture it with absorbable thread to facilitate healing of the tissues.
What to expect after wisdom teeth removal?
Like any other dental surgeries, discomfort and swelling are expected. The dentist will prescribe painkillers to relieve discomfort. You may also apply ice pack for 10 minutes every hour for one day to reduce swelling.
Post-surgical instructions after wisdom teeth removal:
- Bite on gauze pad after surgery to diminish bleeding.
- Do not eat within 3 hours after surgery because you are prone to biting your tongue. Wait until the anaesthesia has completely worn off.
- Consume soft diet and avoid eating extremely hot food or beverages.
- Do not gargle with pressure or use straw.
- Call our office if you experience excessive bleeding, severe swelling, or pain.
Clear Dental Dentist – Wisdom Teeth Removal in Sydney
At Clear Dental, wisdom teeth removal cost is very affordable. We are here to help you alleviate pain caused by impacted wisdom tooth or prevent development of any other infection.
Any surgical or invasive procedure carries risks. Before proceeding, you should seek a second opinion from an appropriately qualified health practitioner.